What is SMTI and why does it exist?
SMTI (Strengthening Ministries Training Institute) exists to promote excellence in biblical counselling/discipleship in the local church by training and equipping pastors and other Christians in the theologically accurate and practical use of Scripture in understanding and solving the problems of people, and thus promoting growth in and usefulness for Christ in the church and world.
All the teachers at SMTI are committed to the sufficiency of Scripture in helping their students discover God’s answers to Life’s problems. Our training program is designed to prepare these students to counsel and disciple others from God’s word under the authority of the local Church in South Africa. It is, therefore, the aim of SMTI to strengthen the local church in South Africa by equipping believers to effectively use the Scriptures in their own lives and in the lives of others.
Registration for SMTI 2017-2018 is closed, however if you would like to register for the new run of the SMTI beginning in 2019, you may complete the online registration form. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 012 361 4559, to have an application form mailed to you. After you have submitted the application form, you will be notified once it has been processed.
SMTI presents the biblical counselling programme through eight modules in total over two years, with four modules per year. Each module is presented over one full week; Monday- Friday, 8h-17h. This means on-class interaction happens four times a year, while assignments are completed during the weeks between modules.
SMTI provides an auditing track and an accredited track;
- Auditing Track: the auditing track allows you to attend the whole course or choose which preferred modules you would like to attend. It does not require completion of assignments.
- Accredited Track: the accredited track requires you to attend all modules over the two years, class participation, completion of all tests and assignments. Preference is given to applicants for the accredited track.
- SMTI is an Association of Certified Biblical Counsellors (ACBC) registered counselling training centre, the only one outside of the USA. This provides the opportunity for those who complete the accredited track to pursue certification as an ACBC Biblical Counsellor. This certification process requires three phases; 1) Training (through SMTI accredited track); 2) Completion of ACBC theological and counselling exams and application form; 3) Supervised counselling hours with a certified ACBC counsellor.
- The Biblical Counselling Programme is in the process of being accredited as a Masters Degree in Biblical Counselling (MABC). Therefore those who enroll and complete the accredited track of the Biblical Counselling Programme sucessfully, will receive a MABC. The requirement for this is that they already have an Honors degree.
Cost:The cost is R100.00 per module and includes:
- A manual with course material
- Lunches and light refreshments
- Grading of assignments
|Introduction to Biblical Counselling||January 23-27|
|Methods of Biblical Change||February 20-24|
|Theological Basis for Biblical Counselling||September 25-29|
|Christian Life Issues||October 23-27|
|Marriage and Family Counselling||January 22-26|
|Marriage and Family Topics||March 19-23|
|Problems and Procedures||July 23-27|
|Observation and Practicum||September 24-28|